Monday, July 6, 2009

Rewind - Fast Forward

Living in the Valley is much like living in a comic. The vast majority of the population here is in their own picture perfect world getting by. Some are fortunate enough to be supported by their parents, for not only now but also for the long stretch. The Valley being a little less than 30 minutes apart from the hectic Downtown LA, contains it's own vibe and feel, as if every day was a cool, breezy mid-summer day. An ice cool lemonade is also not too far from the picture.

As much as I love LA and the Valley, I just don't think this is the place to harness my business motivation. The reason why? There are tons of business minded people alike that roam the 101 and the 405, but I feel as if I'm on a different plane than those that I interact with daily. There is no passion for success but only passion to get by day to day. That passion that thrives is also only called mediocre.

These past few months have been a treat for me as the economy slowed down which allowed me to spend more time on myself and also think about what I want to do with my crucial years and where I want to spend it. Currently not much on my plate for the summer I have my business that's still going, a summer Econ class at Santa Monica College, an All-Cali Meet in Fresno, a turbo BMW project, and life. Before getting any further I wanted to get this off my chest. My BMW turbo project has been a big self-discovery to see how far I can get with my basic engine knowledge, but more importantly it has also acted as an "invisible hand" to make sure I'm still on the right path to success. About 2 days ago, only 1500 miles on a brand new engine problems started arising. Not minor problems such as a loose bolt or a squeaky belt, but problems that would either call for a full rebuilt (glazed walls/toast rings) or a fair amount of downtime. I don't have a problem with working on the car nor paying someone to do work, but I do have a problem everyone else does. Limited time.

I've reasoned with myself that it's in the best interest for me to invest in a new, reliable car. I've saved enough for a reasonable down payment without using too much of my savings for a car that is going to last years. A car is rarely a resource that presents itself as an investment, but in this case, I know I can make it turn profits. Not as a car directly, but as a tool for the driver to become more productive. The opportunity cost of building an old BMW has seen far more loss in time, energy and work spirit that I could have saved. Looking into the future, I cannot have a car be in my way to a bright future. And planning to live independently, the last thing I want to think about is if I will be able to get to work? Get to class? Get groceries?

I think my reasoning of spending a few hundred a month for a more efficient me is very justifiable.

No comments: